Some collaborative family practice teams may include a social worker who supports patients to find the resources they need for their health and wellness.
A SOCIAL WORKER CAN:
- Help patients navigate the health care system.
- Connect patients with supports and resources in their community.
- Advocate on behalf of patients.
- Provide support during life changes, including assistance with coping and problem solving.
- Coach patients to develop self-management skills.
- Make referrals to community agencies.
- Help with arranging care or equipment following a hospital stay or injury or illness.
- Offer group education programs.
Adapted from Nova Scotia Health Authority